Trustee Committee Update on Presidential Election Bylaw Discussion – June 15, 2012

Trustee Committee Update on Presidential Election Bylaw Discussion – June 15, 2012

As promised in my April 27, 2012 e-mail, I write with an update on the work of the Trustee Committee on Church-Relatedness, and with information about how you can help with our work.

The committee met on campus for most of the day on Wednesday, June 6. We had helpful presentations by College Chaplain Rob Spach ’84 and Doug Ottati, the Craig Family Distinguished Professor of Reformed Theology and Justice. With them, we discussed the practical implications of the Reformed Tradition and our Presbyterian heritage in the daily life of Davidson College. We established a target date of the January 2013 trustee meeting for our committee’s report.

We are eager to hear your thoughts about the college’s religious heritage and its core values, and so we will send you a questionnaire in early July. The questionnaire is brief, and we hope that you will take the time to complete it. We also are preserving and paying close attention to the e-mails and letters that many of you have sent to us in the past few months.

The committee has read and discussed several books about the Reformed Tradition, as well as legal and historical material related to Davidson. In addition, we are examining how other schools have engaged in reviews like this one. We will post more information about our work at talk.davidson.edu.

Our committee will meet again in late August, and I will send another update shortly after that. In the meantime, I hope you’ll watch for our questionnaire in early July. If you have thoughts you would like to share before then, please e-mail talk@davidson.edu or contact members of the committee.

Committee on Church-Relatedness
Richard Boyce ’77
Ed Kizer ’61
Elizabeth Brooks Mailander ’85
Mackey McDonald ’68 (Ex Officio)
Sara Tatum Pottenger ’79
Ernie Reigel ’80
William Rikard ’67, Chair
Carole Weinstein
Ben Williams ’84
Janet Wilson

About the Author

William Rikard ’67William Rikard is a member of the Davidson College Board of Trustees and is chair of the Committee on Church-Relatedness.View all posts by William Rikard ’67 →

1. Robert B. Welsh '48
    Robert B. Welsh '4802-02-2013

Presidential Requirements:

That an elected president should be a Davidson Alumnus in addition to the other necessary attributes required. This, in order to assure the new president is founded in the Davidson traditions and does not subconsciously introduce policies in variance with Davidson’s profile.

It is obvious to the conservative alumni that policy change is many times “extreme” especially when society at large, and especially the government, is so liberal.

2. Lee Stoffel
    Lee Stoffel02-02-2013

I am not a graduate of Davidson. However I have served on the board of visitors. Through the years I have observed a steady commitment to the Christian faith, it’s duties and values, and I have not seen or heard of anything to the contrary.

3. Lee Stoffel
    Lee Stoffel02-02-2013

I am not a graduate of Davidson. However I have served on the board of visitors. Through the years I have observed a steady commitment to the Christian faith, it’s duties and values, and I have not seen or heard of anything to the contrary.

Leave a Reply